Asia Pacific Wire & Cable Corporation Limited was incorporated on September 19, 1996 as a Bermuda exempted company limited by shares and incorporated under the Bermuda Companies Act 1981, as amended. The address of APWC’s principal office is Room B, 15th Floor, No. 77, Sec. 2, Dunhua South Road, Taipei, 106, Taiwan, and its telephone number is +886 2-2712-2558. The Company’s registered agent in the United States, Puglisi & Associates, located at 850 Library Avenue, Suite 204, Newark, Delaware 19711, is APWC’s agent for service of process in the United States.
APWC is a holding company incorporated in Bermuda with principal executive offices in Taiwan that operates our business through operating subsidiaries. Through our subsidiaries, our Company is principally engaged in the manufacture and distribution (in descending order of sales) of enameled wire, power cable, and telecommunications products in Thailand, Singapore, Australia, the People’s Republic of China (the “PRC”), Hong Kong and certain other markets in the Asia Pacific region. Our Company also engages in the distribution of certain wire and cable products manufactured by our controlling shareholder, PEWC, and third parties. Our Company also provides project engineering services in supply, delivery and installation of power cable. Our Company’s major customers include government organizations, electric contracting firms, electrical dealers, and wire and cable factories. In 2020, the Thailand market accounted for approximately 46% of sales, the Rest of World (“ROW”) market (which refers to Australia, Singapore and certain other markets in the Asia Pacific region) accounted for approximately 31% of sales, and the North Asia market (which refers to PRC and Hong Kong) accounted for approximately 23% of sales, as illustrated in the following chart:
APWC has no direct business operations other than its direct and indirect ownership of the capital stock of its subsidiaries and equity investee holdings. Although APWC has not paid a dividend to holders of our Common Shares since 2018, APWC’s ability to pay any dividends in the future, as well as to meet its other obligations and to fund operations, depends upon the amount of distributions, if any, received from its direct and indirect operating subsidiaries and other holdings and investments. APWC’s operating subsidiaries and other holdings and investments, from time to time, may be subject to restrictions on their ability to make distributions to APWC, including as a result of restrictive covenants contained in loan agreements, restrictions on the conversion of local currency earnings into U.S. dollars or other hard currency and other regulatory restrictions applicable to the countries in which our subsidiaries are formed and conduct their business.
In Thailand, which is our business’ largest market, APWC has the following subsidiaries:
- Charoong Thai Wire & Cable Public Co. Ltd. (“Charoong Thai”), a public company listed in Thailand that is majority owned by APWC.
- Charoong Thai owns three principal subsidiaries in Thailand, namely Siam Pacific Electric Wire & Cable Co. Ltd., Double D Cable Co. Ltd., and Siam Fiber Optics Co. Ltd.
In North Asia, APWC has four principal subsidiaries:
- Crown Century Holdings Ltd. (“Crown Century”), which is a registered Hong Kong company majority owned by APWC,
- Shanghai Yayang Electric Co., Ltd. (“Shanghai Yayang”), a PRC company that is majority owned by Charoong Thai,
- Pacific Electric Wire and Cable (Shenzhen) Co. Ltd. (“PEWSC”), a PRC company wholly owned by Crown Century, and
- Ningbo Pacific Cable Co., Ltd. (“Ningbo”, collectively with PEWSC and Shanghai Yayang, the “PRC Subsidiaries”), a PRC company wholly owned by Crown Century.
In the Rest of World, APWC has three principal subsidiaries:
- Sigma Cable Company Pte. Ltd. (“Sigma Cable”), a Singapore entity that is majority owned by APWC,
- Epan Industries Pte. Ltd., a Singapore company that is wholly owned by Sigma Cable, and
- Australia Pacific Electric Cable Pty. Ltd. (“APEC”), an Australian company majority owned by APWC through its ownership in Crown Century and Sigma Cable.