XLPE Power Cable
This power cable which has the XLPE insulation,PVC outer-sheath, good heat resistance of insulation, excellent electrical properties and low fault rate is suitable for transmission & distribution wiring and is the mainstream of high voltage cable nowadays. The allowable conductor temperature is max. 90℃ during normal continuous operating, max. 130℃ during normal emergency (not exceed 3 times within 12 consecutive months and not exceed 36 hours per each duration) and max.
250℃ during short circuit (Max. short circuit period not exceed 5 seconds). Besides, it is light in weight, easy to be installed and simple in terminal processing.
Characteristics of XLPE Power Cable
- Max. conductor temperature 90℃ in normal continuous operation.
- Larger Ampacity and Short Circuit Current Capacity while same conductor size.
- Low Fault rate during overload period or short circuit.
- Good Heat Resistance & Moisture Resistance, etc.
- Good Resistance in Chemicals and atmosphere.
- Excellent abrasion and cracking resistance.
- Smaller overall diameter, Lighter Weight, Easy to be installed.
- Simple and easy in Jointing and Termination.
- Outer-sheath materials can be PVC or PE. Besides, PEWC also recommend Low Smoke Free Halogen materials which have the properties in low smoke, low toxic and better flame retardancy to enhance the function in safety protection.
Purposes of XLPE Power Cable
XLPE cable is suitable in low and high voltage Transmission & Distribution Wiring wherever in aerial, direct buried or Drawn In Pipes.
The main category of XLPE cable is classified as follows :
- Transmission & Distribution Cable
- Aerial Cable
- Underground cable
- Control Cable
- Low Voltage Cable
- High Voltage Drop Wire
- Submarine Cable
- Mining Cable
- Concentric Neutral Cable
Comparison of Characteristics Between XLPE Power Cable and Other Power Cable
- Deformation of Heat Resistance：
When PE cable is in overload or short-circuits condition, its temperature rises to 100℃ and PE insulation will become molten and soften then finally deformed. However, for XLPE cable, even if the distribution system incidents happened and its temperature rose to 130℃, it will not affect the cable life. The temperature can be rose to 250℃ during short circuits condition (max. 5 seconds).
- Higher Operating Temperature：
Table of Operating Temperature VS Insulation Materials：
- Electrical Characteristics：
The electrical characteristics of XLPE are similar to PE (before cross-linking) and better than EPR, the value is as follows：
- Excellent Chemicals Resistance：
XLPE possess good resistance in chemicals and atmosphere, more superior than PE, EPR, PVC, the values are given as follows ：
- Comparison between Physical & Other Properties：
|Normal Continuous Operating (Max.)℃||90||90||75||60|
|Short Circuit(Max. 5 seconds)℃||250||250||150||150|
H: High G: Good F: Fair P: Poor
|Tensile strength||kgf/mm2||Min. 0.5||Min. 1.27||Min. 1.0||Min. 1.0|
|Elongation||%||Min. 300||Min. 350||Min. 350||Min. 150|
|Ozone Resistance (0.03%)||－||>25days||>25days||>25days||>10days|
|Value after aging (121℃)||%||>80||>80||Molten||<30|